what is a CDT?
A Clinical Dental Technician (CDT, Denturist) is a Registered Dental Professional who has the training and qualifications to allow him to legally and safely provide a range of denture treatment directly to the public. The duties of a CDT include:
- Charting and recording existing and missing teeth, noting any cavities, wear or fractures
- Taking Dental and Medical histories and maintain patient records
- Examine the mouth, teeth and gums for abnormal signs of ageing or illness.
- Create a Treatment Plan in the best interests of the patient
- Refer patients to Dentists if further examination or treatment is needed.
- Receive referrals from Dentists for denture treatment.
- Provide patient education with regard to oral health care and denture maintenance.
- Refer patients to Dental Hygienists.
- Carry out the technical aspects of denture fabrication, maintenance and repair.
- Take impressions and transfer bow records, and occlusal records (bite records) in the course of denture treatment or removeable dental appliance production.
- Place finished dentures and make any adjustments necessary for an accurate comfortably fitting denture.