how long until my dentures are ready?
It depends, but as a general guide 5 - 7 appointments are needed for full denture treatment. Partials with a smaller number of teeth may be completed in fewer visits, while full dentures or complex cases might take longer.
- Medical and dental history.
- Examination, charting.
- Discussion of preferences and requirements and choice of treatment plan.
- Primary impressions are made for study models.
- Functional impressions are made, bite record is made for partial dentures.
- Wax rims are placed in the mouth and adjusted and various information is recorded.
- The mid-line for is marked so the teeth align to the centre of the face.
- Tooth shape, size and shade is selected and a bite record is made.
- Trial wax dentures are fitted in the mouth.
- Appearance, midline, tooth position and speech are all evaluated.
- You will be asked about the look and feel of the dentures and suggest any changes you want.
- Some changes can be made during the appointment, whilst others may require laboratory adjustments and another try-in visit.
- Complex cases may require several try-in appointments before they are ready for completion.
- The finished dentures are ready for placement.
- During your visit minor adjustments are made so the dentures will fit accurately and comfortably.
- Speech and appearance are examined.
- The bite is checked so there is even contact between the top and bottom teeth.
- We encourage all patients to return for a review even if the dentures are fitting comfortably.
- If your new dentures are causing discomfort, we can make adjustments during this visit.
- If you are a first-time denture-wearer, we will discuss your progress and offer advice to help you become accustomed to your dentures.